1. Hair Restoration
Human body is full of hair. It grows on almost every part of the human skin except for palms of hand and sole of foot. The growth and falling of hair is a continuous process in which new hair replaces the old ones. But any kind of disturbance in this cycle can lead to hair loss.
Causes of Hair loss
Normally every healthy person sheds about 50 to 100 hairs daily. As new hair replaces the old ones, this loss is not noticeable. But excessive shedding or falling of hair or inability of hair to grow can lead to noticeable hair loss.
Although it is difficult to understand the precise cause of hair loss, but it can be related to any of the following factors:
• History of hair loss or thinning in the family (Hereditary)
• Hormonal imbalance
• Infections of scalp
• Skin disorders like lichen planus, some types of lupus and sarcoidosis
• Over dosage of vitamin A
• Medication for treatment of illnesses like cancer, depression, etc.
• Birth control pills
• Pulling out of hair from the scalp, the eyebrows or other areas of the body (trichotillomania)
• Excessive use of hairstyling products
• Hairstyles that pull hair tight, such as pigtails or cornrows
• Stress etc.
Triggers of hair loss
Following are certain triggers or risk factors that may also cause hair loss:
• Sudden or excessive weight loss
• Poor nutrition
WHAT IS SURGICAL HAIR TRANSPLANTATION?
Surgical hair transplantation is a procedure that involves movement of hair from one part of the body to the bald are. The area from where hair is taken is called the donor site while the area where hair is transplanted is called recipient area. The donor hair is generally taken from the area that is resistant to falling (like the back of the head).
Surgical hair transplantation is generally performed if all other techniques fail to give desired results of hair regrowth.
I like my friend’s hair; can I get hair from him?
No. Hair transplantation involves rearrangement of patient’s own hair only. Hair cannot be taken from any other person.
Surgical Techniques of hair transplantation
Depending upon the cause of hair loss and patient condition, any of the following surgical techniques can be used for hair transplantation:
• Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation (FUT)
• Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
• Direct hair transplantation
• Micrografts and Minigrafts
• Scalp flap and scalp reduction surgery
• Neograft, I Graft, FUSE Graft
Although all the above mentioned techniques produce almost similar results but follicular unit transplantation (FUT) is considered ‘gold standard’ of hair transplant surgery.
How would I know the best technique for me?
Hair transplant specialist is the best person to tell you the technique that will give best results for your hair loss. This is because the pattern and cause of hair loss is different in different individuals and same surgical treatment method may not be right for each transplant patient.
What all areas can have hair transplantation?
Hair transplantation can be performed on following areas:
• Beard hair
• Chest hair
• Pubic hair